Nairobi Climate & Temperature
- Nairobi, Kenya is at 1°18'S, 36°45'E, 1798 m (5899 ft). See map.
- Nairobi has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Nairobi is situated in or near the subtropical dry forest biome.
- The annual average temperature is 17.7 degrees Celsius (63.8 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 3.5 °C (6.3°F). This indicates that the continentality type is hyperoceanic, subtype truly hyperoceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 21.3°C (70.4°F) on average falling to 10.3°C (50.6°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 24°C (75.2°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 12°C (53.6°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 24.7°C (76.4°F) and average low temperatures are 11.7°C (53°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 24°C (75.2°F) during the day and lows of 13.3°C (56°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 925 mm (36.4 inches) which is equivalent to 925 Litres/m² (22.69 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2525 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Nairobi you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Atuona, French Polynesia where you would find a Tropical wet climate.
Nairobi Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Nairobi Climate Graph in Metric Units
Nairobi Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Nairobi, Kenya Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Lodwar, Kenya - 506.6 kms (314.8 miles) NNW
- Kitale, Kenya - 322.1 kms (200.1 miles) NW
- Eldoret, Kenya - 259.6 kms (161.3 miles) NW
- Entebbe, Uganda - 501.1 kms (311.4 miles) WNW
- Bukoba, Tanzania - 548.4 kms (340.8 miles) W
- Musoma, Tanzania - 328.7 kms (204.2 miles) W
- Mwanza, Tanzania - 445.3 kms (276.7 miles) WSW
- Arusha, Tanzania - 226.6 kms (140.8 miles) S
- Tabora, Tanzania - 605 kms (375.9 miles) SW
- Dodoma, Tanzania - 552 kms (343 miles) SSW